- Remove rocks, sticks, chunks of concrete, lumber scraps, vegetative material and any other debris.
- Grade your lot with the proper slope so rainfall and run-off drain away from the building.
- Add topsoil if necessary. Cover the area with 2-3 inches of mulch. Also, add 100 lbs. of Gypsum per 1000 square foot of area. Rototill down into the existing soil 4-8 inches.
- Level and smooth the soil with a rake. Work out lumps, bumps and low spots. Soil surface should be about 1" below sidewalks, driveways and borders to allow for the thickness of the root base.
LAYING YOUR GRASS:
- Roll soil with a lawn roller, to pack well.
- Spread 'New Lawn Starter,' 5 lbs. per 1000 square foot. onto prepared area.
- LAY SOD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER DELIVERY, (IMMEDIATELY IN HOT WEATER)! SOD IS PERISHABLE!
- Begin laying your sod along a straight edge such as a walk or driveway. Butt joints together tightly, avoiding overlaps. Alternate each row so that the joints are staggered, similar to rows of bricks.
- Use inexpensive steak knives with serrated edges to cut the sod so that is can be shaped to fit around trees, flower beds, borders, etc.
- START WATERING LAID SOD WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THE PROCESS OF COMPLETING THE INSTALLATION.
- When the installation is complete and all the sod is generously soaked, roll the entire lawn with your lawn roller. This process with press out any air pockets and lumps that may have been created.
CARE & MANAGEMENT:
- IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOUR LAWN REMAIN DAMP AT ALL TIMES FOR THE FIRST 2 WEEKS! This will require watering a minimum of 2 times a day and up to 4 times a day in hot weather. After two weeks, you may begin to cut back on your watering gradually.
- Keep pet and foot traffic to a minimum for 10 days. Wait at least 10 days before mowing. Bluegrass and Fescue are both tall grasses and like to be mowed at 2-4".
- For more information on the importance of fertilizing, see our helpful FERTILIZER SCHEDULE here.
Not interested in installing your own lawn? Ask us about our professional and affordable installation services.